Coolin' in Culottes
Maasai Necklace Airport in Kenya
FRAYED DENIM CULOTTES ZARA
Seamlessly mixing tribal elements with modern aesthetics tickles my fancy. This Maasai necklace is the quintessential statement piece that can enhance any minimal ensemble.
Every time I wear this necklace it makes me feel royal, beautiful, elegant and confident.
This eclectic jewelry created by the women of the Maasai tribe is not only beautiful but also has important cultural significance. The beadwork an individual wears is a symbolism of their age and social status. Generally, individuals of high social standing will wear more colorful and intricate jewelry.
The colors used in the beadwork are selected for their beauty. The colors are also symbolic and have important meanings understood by the tribe. Often these meanings have an association with cattle, which is the Maasai's main food source and for which they have a deep connection. Below is a list of the main colors used in Maasai beadwork and the meanings associated with each.
- Red - stands for bravery, unity, and blood. Red is the color of cows blood. Often a cow is slaughtered when the Maasai meet and therefore unity is associated with red.
- White - represents peace, purity, and health. The association with health comes from white cows milk which the tribe drinks to stay healthy.
- Blue - represents energy and the sky. Rain falls from the blue sky which provides water for the cattle.
- Orange - symbolizes hospitality. The association with cattle is that visitors are served cows milk from orange gourds.
- Yellow - like orange yellow also symbolizes hospitality. The animal skins on visitors beds are yellow.
- Green - symbolizes health and land. Cattle graze on the green grass of the land.
- Black - represents the people and the struggles they must endure.
On this scorching hot day in Atlanta rather than chilling in familiar denim, I opted for a cool pair of Culottes from ZARA. What made these a great find was the affordable price tag that came along with it. I live for affordable chic + statement pieces.
Although I tapped into my savings for this super ZARA sale going on, I'm one happy gal :D